Thursday, February 8, 2007

Blog? What Blog?

It's been a while, hasn't it?

I've been reading Queen in Waiting, about Caroline, wife to the future George II, who, as the novel's title implies, is waiting for George I to hurry up and die so she can be queen. (Except that Hurry Up and Die Already probably wouldn't have gone over too well with the publisher's marketing department.) It's an enjoyable read about the Hanoverians, and so far I haven't had the difficulty I had when reading a later novel in the series, The Third George, where memories of "Blackadder" kept intruding.

Anyway, more to come.

Here, in the meantime, is Tanzanite's take on Plaidy's Norman trilogy. Evidently this wasn't one of Plaidy's finer moments, but when one's quite prolific I suppose that a few duds are inevitable.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I thought the Norman trilogy was okay but less believable than others. The Passionate Enemies was a bit overdramatic and The Bastard King had no sympathetic characters.

Finally got to The Sixth Wife...you can tell Plaidy disliked Henry VIII thoroughly and wasn't Elizabeth I's greatest fan either. Still, it's recommendable - all the plots to bring Katherine Parr down were almost humorous in a sick way.

Susan Higginbotham said...

I'm looking forward to The Sixth Wife. Will have to read it once I get these Hanoverians out of the way. I also want to re-read Lady in the Tower and The Rose Without a Thorn.