Friday, December 29, 2006

My Favorite Plaidy Reads of 2006

I read quite a few Plaidy novels this year (hence this blog). Here, in no particular order, are the ones I enjoyed most:

Murder Most Royal (Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard)

The Queen's Confession (Marie Antoinette, written as Victoria Holt)

Sweet Lass of Richmond Hill (Maria Fitzherbert)

Indiscretions of the Queen (Queen Caroline)

Regent's Daughter (Princess Charlotte)

Myself My Enemy (Henrietta Maria)

The Pleasures of Love (Catherine of Braganza)

(I suppose one day I should really try reading a book that's not about a royal woman . . .)

Anyway, I've started reading The Haunted Sisters (about James II's daughters Mary and Anne), and am so far finding it very entertaining, especially in its depiction of Sarah Churchill, who's both thoroughly disagreeable and rather fun to read about. I'll be saying more about it in 2007.

In the meantime, I'll leave you for 2006 with this cover from a 1983 edition of Plaidy's novel about Edward I and his family, Hammer of the Scots. Here we see the king taking a well-deserved break from his military preoccupations to nibble his wife's ear.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a longtime Plaidy fan -- I read The Goldsmith's Wife this year and enjoyed it a lot.

Marg said...

Well, you've got to take it when you can get it right!! LOL!!!

Happy New Year!

Susan Higginbotham said...

Hi, Cinderella! The Goldsmith's Wife is on my list.

Marg, a man does have to seize his opportunities!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Is Goldsmith's Wife the one about Jane Shore? Happy New Year, btw!

Sherhazade said...

I remember the Goldsmith's Wife being about Jane Shore....

I always though The Queen's Confession was more of a Plaidy novel than a Holt title. I wonder why it was published under Holt? I'd like to know the story behind that.